- Oregano: Dehydrated oregano is one of the richest food sources of luteolin, a plant compound with powerful antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and neuroprotective properties. The combination of these helps improve the cognitive functions of the brain. Because of its neuroprotective nature, oregano prevents the death of nerve cells, improving the nervous system. An improved nervous system is characterized by overall better brain function, better balance, enhanced perception and increased responsiveness. Oregano also influences positive mood changes.
- Dark chocolate: Rich in glucose, dark chocolate is stimulating and energizing. According to research, people who eat chocolate once a week tend to have better cognitive activity. An improved cognitive state means better memory, scanning, tracking, and abstract reasoning skills. Chocolate has methylxanthine, a plant-produced compound that enhances various bodily functions. Shoot for at least 70% cacao.
- Walnuts: Walnuts are rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which have beneficial effects on brain function.
- Avocados: Avocados reduce low-density lipoproteins, which are detrimental to your health, and increase high-density lipoproteins. Avocados contain significant amounts of potassium, an ion essential for maintaining normal blood pressure. It is also rich in vitamin K which improves the body’s blood clotting. Moreover, avocados are a good source of folate, an important substance for nerve cell health.
- Blueberries: Recent Tufts University research suggests that the consumption of blueberries may be effective in improving or delaying short-term memory loss.
- Broccoli: This power packed vegetable has also shown to have positive effects on cognitive activity. Research has revealed that broccoli is high in glucosinolates, a group of compounds that can halt the decline of the neurotransmitter acetylcholine, which is necessary for the central nervous system to perform.
These little foods are packed with power and inexpensive. Toss a few or more into your daily diet and reap the benefits!
Need help transitioning to a healthier diet? Let's get you started on your path to a healthier you! Schedule your free strategy session today!